Tuesday 21 July 2009

Home time

After staying on to do the Advanced diving, I only had two days in Bangkok- not something I was too worried about as I had a pretty good feel for Asian cities by now.

I don't know why, but Manila, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok are seemingly interchangeable. There seems to be no obvious differences between them in the way there are obvious differences between say Rome and London.

I'm sure that's a huge generalisation, but it's my justification for effectively missing Bangkok off my itinerary. So shut your face.

Anyway, I caught the ferry back from Koh Tao to Chumphon and then a train up to Bangkok, which seemed to cater exclusively for travellers.
I did make friends with one of the locals though.
The ferry deposited me in Chumphon at about 6pm and the train didn't leave until 12.30am. Oh the joys of backpacking.
I did treat myself to a first class sleeper cabin though - I was determined to travel in style for this final leg!
We arrived in Bangkok the following morning at about 8.30am.
I'd reserved two nights at a five-star hotel in keeping with my desire to finish off in style, and the first thing I did was run myself a big, fat, bubbly bath. Heaven!
I had planned on using the one day I had in Bangkok to go and see what sights I could, but when I woke up it was pissing with rain.
The rubbish weather did mean though, that after a gentle afternoon's steam and sauna, I was able to settle into my arm chair, open a bottle of New Zealand white, read my book and listen to England destroy the Australians at Lords.

Does life get much better?
And then, suddenly, my bags were packed for the final time.
I'm now sat in the hotel bar, waiting for my taxi to the airport and the last leg of an incredible journey.

I'll be home soon and can't wait to see you all.