Tuesday 21 October 2008

The long goodbye

The two weeks between getting back from the US and heading off to Buenos Aires were so busy I barely had time to play golf or spend hours wandering round shops. It was hellish. And sorry about the sudden end to the America blog, but you didn't miss much. LA came at the end of our trip and we were both pretty knackered. It wasn't very exciting - a bit like a Happy Eater toilet break just before you take the exit off the motorway.

Of course, being only able to function with a deadline looming I'd left applying for credit cards, having my jabs and checking check lists right until the last possible moment. Much to my mum's increasing worry I'm sure - sorry mum! Somehow it all came together though with minutes to spare and I didn't really have time to contemplate whether this trip idea was a stroke of genius or madness.

We did have time to gather the clan and pose for a picture on the patio. A long way for everyone to drive for a photo opportunity, but I appreciated the effort!

My last night was spent with the folks and Tom and Gem. Such was the mood of celebration even Mum came to the pub. Everyone seemed very happy - presumably they were covering up their grief at my departure to save my feelings, which was thoughtful of them.

The next morning it was off to the station for the start of my 28-hour epic journey to the bottom of the world. Again, everyone looks very happy to see the back of me. Hmmmm.

Because my flight was departing quite late, I persuaded these three tramps I found in the street near Paddington to pretend to be my friends for an hour so I could have my forty third leaving do. I had to bung them a tenner each, but they played their parts so well and I was genuinely sad to go.